Why I love rain

 

Ever since I can remember I’ve loved when it rained. When most people are asked to think of a perfect day, they picture clear sky’s and sun. I, however, imagine dark clouds and the patter of rain against windows. So what caused me to prefer such dreary weather? 

While I was growing up, rain had a much bigger effect on my day to day life than it does today. When I saw grey clouds rolling in, it meant one thing, softball practice was cancelled. I hated softball as a kid, but my parents forced me through a full season of the sport. Regardless, the sight of rain became joyous as receiving a phone call from Carrie Birmingham announcing a snow day. Yeah, it was that exciting.

As I got older, the sight and smell of rain continued to be something I looked forward to, even though I no longer play softball. The idea that rain brought joy was trained into my brain, the way you might train a dog to expect treats when they sit. When we think about the way our childhood shaped where we are, we usually look at the negatives, or mistakes that taught us lessons. Not small things that brought us joy. Yet, they also shape who we are and what we enjoy. Our experiences as children sometimes change us in ways we never imagine or even think about. Everything that happened to us as we grew up had an effect on us, even something as insignificant as a wether preference.




 

 

Comments