My Favorite Word

 Although you may not know what this word means, we’ve all experienced it. As defined by the dictionary, petrichor is the name for the smell that is produced after it rains. However, the reason its my favorite word, and the way I define it, is through the memories it inspires.

            As a kid, there was nothing like the feeling of glee when the rain finally passed and the sun broke through the clouds. I would run outside, finally set free from my house, and the first thing that would hit me was the smell. It was heavy, earthy, and felt damp in my nose. I would stay outside doing little kids things, like playing in dirt and stabbing the ground with sticks, until the scent gradually drifted away. But the feeling of it would stay on my skin for a long while after.


            When I got older, the feeling just wasn’t the same. Instead of rushing outside, I found myself staying in. More content to stay inside playing a new game or watching a new show. It wasn’t that I stopped going outside, but leaving my house only became something I did when I was going somewhere else to do something. The smell of petrichor became something I briefly noticed on my way to the car or when I took a break during soccer practice, not something I looked forward to or cherished the way I used to.

            Today, when I look back at my childhood I can’t help but regret all the time I didn’t spend just enjoying nature. It’s only now that I realize the simple joy brought from something as small as a smell was incredibly rare. I’ll never be able to go back and add more memories. With school and the stress of college looming ever closer, its hard to find the time to take a step back and focus on the little things, the way I did when I was a kid. So, although I may not have the time to spend running around in mud, I continue to look back fondly on the memories I do have, and every time I smell petrichor, I’m reminded to remember.

 




Comments